8/17/12

Think About It...

I know, I know, I've never done this before.
WARNING. CONTENT IN THIS RANT MAY NOT BE SAFE FOR YOUNG EARS- particularly because we're dealing with POP CULTURE SONGS. Please herd your children off to a different room- or better- wait until they're asleep if you're going to listen to the songs!
Today's topic IS:

POPULAR CULTURE SONGS!!! stupid disclaimer, spoiling my topic. XD

Think about this. 
Everyone listens to songs, whether they mean to or not... I will literally have song lyrics come up in my dreams! But when you're really mulling it over...

How many songs in pop culture are NOT about:
  • Love/sex
  • Wild, crazy lifestyles
  • Not caring about anything
  • How much you hate something/someone
  • Complete randomness
How many can you think of? Let me give you a few examples of what's popular right now.
****WARNING: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER EAR INJURIES RESULT FROM LISTENING TO THIS SONG.***** This song- Baby,  by Justin Beiber, is all about love, as he demonstrates by bowling and tugging on a girl's jacket in a VERY awkward spot. O_O
Skrillex's remixe of Cinema (I haven't heard the official song, but I'm sure it's significantly less awesome) illustrates- again- a love song. It's a unique comparison, and the artist gets credit for that. XD

One Direction's song "What Makes you Beautiful" is yes, another love song. What is it with our culture being obsessed with love song? I mean, really? I think it has something to do with a girl's sinful nature to control, and a man's passiveness. Achilles can probably explain it better than I can.
One Direction may be on their way to becoming the new Beiber Figure. (That's my prediction, at least.)
Katy Perry- from what I've heard, I don't really want to hear much more from her, but whatever- her songs are either nonsensical or about sex. Firework probably fits into both categories. One of her other songs I've heard are ET, and that one has several sexual references and is, AGAIN, a love song! It almost seems to imply that the way to shoot some spice back into your life is to have alot of "girlfriends" or something.
BE WARNED- PARTY ROCK ANTHEM HAS SEXUAL THEMES BUT PROVES MY POINT EXCELLENTLY. YOU WERE WARNED. Party Rock Anthem illustrates a wild and crazy lifestyle PERFECTLY, but also has some sex references as well.
And now... pointlessness. Another good one is Owl City's Fireflies, and I'm sure you've heard it...
So, are you all pop cultured out yet? No? Oh, well. Sorry.
Does anyone see my point? Yes? No? Perhaps?
And now, I shall give you some decent music that I really enjoy listening to.
Most of them have NO lyrics, and if they do, the lyrics actually MEAN something to me, like in Fireflight's Stay Close.
 
 Otherwise, I find the music calming! Like in Blackmill's Let it Be. It has lyrics, but the lyrics don't make sense (which is weird for me to enjoy.) and I barely pay attention to them- they seem to merge into the song.
In some more instances of finding music calming, I give you Okami Soundtrack! The two most calming I have are the Wep'Keer (Upkeeper) and Kusanagi Village.
(Okami is a pretty sweet video game, by the way... very worth my money.)
The Skrillex without words is stuff I will listen to when I'm just bored and listening to music to listen to music while I draw. (I DO NOT RECOMMEND POKING AROUND WITH SKRILLEX WITHOUT PEOPLE TO TELL YOU WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT ISN'T.)
 Also, Deadmau5 is pretty much the same thing- be careful with him, too, because some of it's appropriate and some of it isn't.
Finally... aimlessness at it's finest. (love song. But aimless.)

I hope you have enjoyed my musical rant, and also that you have found some better choices in music.

Also, if you are in middle school... please keep your headphones at a respectful volume. I don't want to hear Eminem swearing at me from across the bus aisle, or even blaring through my own relaxing music. Thank you.

So. Then. Later, peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment without a Gmail account simply select whichever account type you have OR Anonymous when it asks for your ID. Be sure to leave your name! It's terrible to be known as "anonymous" for all eternity!