3/4/13

On literature and an expansion of the previous post, "Selling the News"

"Substance, oh, Substance, where have you been
You've been replaced by the masters of spin
who make good looking books and write history in,
We're selling the news."

I often feel as if I'm the only one who really as a genuine love for good literature. Maybe I've just been raised on pedigree and am biased, or maybe's it just my love for LOTR, but I just don't understand how some people could absolutely love some books series's. For example. 
"So, Sandy, what's your favorite book?"
"OH MY GOSH! I just absolutely love the Hunger Games! I saw the movie like, three times, and I just loved that part when Peeta and Katnis kissed!"
"Wow, uhm, that's nice. Don't you think that the names are pretty un-original?" 
"And I just about CRIED when Finnick died! I was so mad! I even kicked my cat!" 
"Holy cow, shouldn't you see a psychologist or something? Ye know one of my friends, Katie,-"
"AND I HATE PRESIDENT SNOW! I'd kill him if I ever saw him!"
"All righty then, my ,uhm, cookies are burning, so I gotta go, uh, see ya!" 
"GALE IS SUCH A HOTTIE!"
 
Have you ever been in a situation like that? I have. It just makes me wonder, why does our cultural literature always have the same themes. These themes are: 
1. If you don't have at least two people of the opposite sex trying to marry you, you have a problem. 
2. Creepy is good! 
3. Creepy dark stuff is great!
4. Government is BAD. 

Some pop lit. that follows thus criteria:
Hunger games
Harry Potter
Twilight Saga (who doesn't love having sex with vampires?)

Seriously folks, as the Romans said "Excelsior!" which in Latin means, "Even higher!" You know what these authors are appealing two? The lowest common denominator. 

This could be compared in away to being kicked in the groin. There are some people who think that groin shots are funny. They are the lowest common denominator. It's the same with pop lit. People who think that Twilight Sage is amusing are the appealing to the lowest common denominator. Folks have you ever been hit in the groin  I have. It doesn't feel nice- it makes your bowels all twisty and makes you feel nauseous. When I read Hunger Games, all that I'm doing is making my brain ooze out of my ears. 

Instead of reading pop lit., lets read wholesome books that teach lesson and are actually written WELL. For example:
The Lord of the Ring, the Silmarillion, the Hobbit and the Children of Hurin. 
The Fablehaven series. 
Dead End in Norvelt. (an excellent and possibly true story)
The Bible (duh)
Beyonders series. 
The Mysterious Benedict Society and it's sequels. 
The Book of the Dun cCow (My personal favorite book flat out)
Ashtown Burials
The 100 Cupboards. 

Come one folks- Excelsior! 


2 comments:

  1. People can like plenty of different books. I, personally, like the three series' you've mentioned as being "bad". The Twilight Saga is my least favorite, but the books were actually decent. The movies were terrible but the books were decent. Books are always better than the movies. Harry Potter is a very good series actually; J.K. Rowling is a very good author. I like the Hunger Games too (and unoriginal names? Really? I have never seen or heard of anyone else with such names) and think that the plot is interesting. I prefer other books of course, but I still like these series'. Though Divergent is a book I absolutely love, even though I am halfway through it (it is part of a series, however I do not believe that the third book is out yet) because it is so interesting and refreshing, it is different from any book I have read just in the telling of it; it explores the emotions and reasons behind things instead of just telling you. I think the reason you do not like such books is that you cannot feel the emotions behind the words as I can. Obviously I LOVE the Lord of the Rings (and the books associated with it that I have read, sadly only the Hobbit and the Silmarillion), as they are wonderful and hilarious (all books that I read have to have some humor in them or I find them dull and tasteless), however it was not as well written as other books that I have read (I say the same about the three books you said were not as good - though all, especially this one, have a delightful and unique enough story to enjoy them). Divergent, however, is very well written - I can imagine every detail, and the feelings and emotions and turmoil and I am pulled right into the story, from the very first page. Other books I love and find well-written are any books by Tad Williams, especially Tailchaser's Song and the Otherland seriesI also like the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, though that was mostly when I was younger (I was obsessed - I have been obsessed with cats for my whole life, thus why I also like Tailchaser's Song) because they were so unique and interesting, though they got a bit repetitive later on and the writing wasn't as good. The other books you like I have never heard of. Personally, I like slightly disturbing books. All of my favorite books are :P So just because you do not like them does not mean you can put them down. I understand that this is your opinion, but this now is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't put Harry Potter on that list, but agree with your point.

    ReplyDelete

To comment without a Gmail account simply select whichever account type you have OR Anonymous when it asks for your ID. Be sure to leave your name! It's terrible to be known as "anonymous" for all eternity!